A woman who was shot apparently in the chest at the Capitol building during a mass riot of US President Donald Trump’s supporters has died Wednesday.  

Her death was confirmed by D.C. police during a telephone call, but additional details were not immediately available. She was seen being carried out of the federal legislature by medical workers while bleeding profusely.

The Capitol was overrun earlier in the day as lawmakers were set to convene a joint session of Congress that is traditionally a mundane affair of Electoral College vote counting.

Instead, chaotic scenes of thousands of rioters clashing with police outside of the federal legislature gave way to even more pandemonium as the mob overwhelmed law enforcement, breached the Capitol’s doors and windows and eventually made their way to the Senate floor.

Multiple police officers were reportedly injured.

The grim scenes are an unprecedented stain on the US’s peaceful transfer of power.

Trump and his political allies have for months falsely alleged that the election he lost to Biden by 7 million votes was rigged, stirring emotions among his supporters with conspiracy theories that have been repeatedly rejected in court. The Justice Department also found no evidence to support his claims of widespread voter fraud.

Addressing the nation in televised remarks, President-elect Joe Biden said the riot was “an assault on the most sacred of American undertakings.”

“What we are seeing is a small number of extremists dedicated to lawlessness. This is not dissent. It’s disorder. It’s chaos. It borders on sedition, and it must end now. I call on this mob to pull back and allow the work of democracy to go forward,” he said.

Shortly after Biden went on national television, Trump posted a video message on Twitter, maintaining his false allegations while calling on his supporters “to go home now.”
“We have to have peace. We have to have law and order, and we have to respect our great people and law and order. We don’t want anybody hurt,” said Trump.

Trump’s tweet was quickly flagged by Twitter and prevented from being liked, retweeted or replied to “due to a risk of violence.”

The D.C. National Guard has been fully activated to assist federal and local law enforcement after they were earlier overwhelmed by the pro-Trump masses.
Washington, D.C. residents received emergency phone calls Wednesday warning them that Mayor Muriel Bowser has enacted a citywide curfew beginning at 6 p.m. and extending for 12 hours.

Under the order, no one “other than persons designated by the Mayor shall walk, bike, run, loiter, stand, or motor by car or other mode of transport upon any street, alley, park, or other public place within the District,” Bowser’s office said in a statement.

It does not apply to essential workers, including the media, as they perform their “essential functions.”

Copyright 2022 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.