ANKARA 

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Tuesday criticized China’s quick implementation of a new national security law over Hong Kong ahead of an annual vigil.

“It starts; so soon. For the first time in 30 years, Hong Kong authorities denied permission to hold the #TiananmenVigil,” Pompeo said on Twitter. “If there is any doubt about Beijing’s intent, it is to deny Hong Kongers a voice and a choice, making them the same as mainlanders. So much for two systems.”

The remarks came days after Beijing passed a new national security law last week, which has drawn criticism from several western countries led by the US.

The new law will criminalize those undermining the authority of Beijing in Hong Kong.

China-backed Hong Kong authorities on Monday banned an annual June 4 vigil that commemorates victims of the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests.

The 1989 protests started April 15 and were forcibly suppressed June 4 when the Chinese government sent the military to gain control of Tiananmen Square. Nearly 300 people died and 7,000 were injured, including soldiers, according to State Council spokesperson Yuan Mu.

At a press conference on Monday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman, Lijian Zhao urged the Trump administration to mind its own business by eliminating racial discrimination and protecting the lawful rights of minorities, according to China’s CGTN media.

“The death of George Floyd reflects the severity of racial discrimination and police brutality in the US,” said Zhao, referring to ongoing protests over US police’s murder of an unarmed black man while in custody last week.

Copyright 2020 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.