The governor of the U.S. state of Connecticut confirmed Wednesday a six-week-old newborn died from the novel coronavirus, marking the second infant death in the country.
Ned Lamont said on Twitter the infant from the Hartford area “was brought unresponsive to a hospital late last week and could not be revived.”
Lamont noted the newborn tested positive Tuesday for COVID-19.
“This is absolutely heartbreaking. We believe this is one of the youngest lives lost anywhere due to complications relating to COVID-19,” he added.
The governor said the loss proves the importance of staying home and limiting exposure to others.