A motion calling for the extension of Turkish troop deployment in Libya for another 18 months was issued in Turkey’s Official Gazette early Thursday.
The motion, approved on Tuesday, said “there are threats from Libya to Turkey and the entire region, and if attacks resume again, Turkey’s interests in the Mediterranean basin and North Africa will be adversely affected.”
It added that permanent peace, a cease-fire that was agreed to in October and political dialogue in Libya are of great importance to Turkey.
“Turkey, within the Memorandum of Security and Military Cooperation signed with Libya, will continue to contribute to the training and consultancy support to Libya,” it said.
The proposal was submitted by the presidency last week in light of a request by Libya’s UN-recognized government for military assistance.
In late November, Ankara and Tripoli signed a pact on military cooperation as well as an agreement on maritime boundaries in the Eastern Mediterranean.
Since the ouster of late leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, two seats of power have emerged in Libya: one in eastern Libya mainly supported by Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, and another in Tripoli, which enjoys UN and international recognition.
Turkey sent its troops to the North African country on a year-long mandate in January.
*Writing by Sena Guler
Copyright 2021 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.