KHARTOUM, Sudan

Sudan said on Friday that US President Donald Trump signed an official statement to take Sudan off its list of states sponsoring terrorism.

“Trump officially signed an order to remove Sudan from the list of states sponsoring terrorism,” a statement by the Sudan’s Sovereign Council said.

“Shortly this day will be announced as a historic day for Sudan and its revolution,” the statement added.

So far, the US has not commented on the Sudanese announcement.

On Wednesday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that the US started the process of removing Sudan from his country’s list of State Sponsors of Terrorism.

Pompeo also said that Washington is looking forward for Sudan to recognize Israel “soon”.

On Monday, Trump said on Twitter that Sudan agreed to pay $335 million compensation to US terror victims and families. “Once deposited, I will lift Sudan from the State Sponsors of Terrorism,” he promised.

The Sudanese regime under the rule of Omar al-Bashir was accused by the US administrations of being responsible for attacks against US interests including the attack against the USS Cole destroyer in 2000 and the US embassies bombings in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998.

The US has listed Sudan on its list of State Sponsors of Terrorism since 1993 for hosting the leader of Al-Qaeda terror organization.

*Ahmed Asmar contributed to this report from Ankara

Copyright 2021 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.