Sudan’s Health Ministry confirmed six more fatalities due to the novel coronavirus on Monday, taking the nationwide death toll to 70.
A ministry statement said 201 new infections were recorded in the country over the past 24 hours, bringing the total to 1,365.
The ministry said 149 people have so far recovered from the disease.
According to Sudanese officials, the virus has spread to 14 of 17 states.
On May 3, Hashim Ibn Auf, minister of infrastructure and transportation, was diagnosed with COVID-19.
Sudan is the most affected country by the virus in East Africa, according to latest data by the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.
After appearing in Wuhan, China late last year, the virus has spread to at least 187 countries and regions, according to figures compiled by the US’ Johns Hopkins University.
More than 4.12 million cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed worldwide, with over 283,000 deaths and more than 1.42 million recoveries.
*Writing by Zehra Nur Duz
Copyright 2022 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.