JOHANNESBURG 

South Africa announced its third case of the novel coronavirus on Sunday. 

“A third person has tested positive for COVID-19 virus. This is a person who was part of the group of 10 who had travelled to Italy and had been kept on surveillance,” Health Minister Zweli Mkize told national broadcaster SABC.

Mkize said the third patient was the wife of the first COVID-19 patient — a 38-year-old man who returned from a trip to Italy and tested positive for the coronavirus on Thursday.

The couple has two children who both have tested negative and are now being monitored

Read more: South Africa confirms third COVID-19 case