PARIS

Rwanda on Thursday sent a letter to France requesting the extradition of a key suspect in the 1994 Rwandan Genocide.

An international warrant has also been issued for the arrest of former Maj. Gen. Aloys Ntiwiragabo.

On July 24, French law enforcement opened an investigation into Ntiwiragabo, 71, for crimes against humanity for his alleged role in the Rwandan Genocide against the Tutsi ethnic group.

Ntiwiragabo is said to be one of the leaders who orchestrated the genocide. He had been Chief of Military Intelligence and Deputy Chief of Staff of the Army up until 1993.

Investigators first tracked down the former spy chief in mid-July at his home near Orleans, about 100 kilometers (62 miles) southwest of Paris.

According to reporting in mid-August by the French daily Mediapart, the general had been living in France for 14 years, preceded by his wife, Catherine Nkuzi, who came to France in 1998, receiving asylum the year after. Nkuzi had been living under an assumed name of Tibot.

Rwanda’s top general Aimable Havugiyaremye said Rwanda was working with French law enforcement responsible for combating war crimes and crimes against humanity, according to reporting from France24 TV.

France had already dropped an arrest warrant for Ntiwiragabo two years ago, as had Interpol and Rwanda. Ntiwiragabo has yet to be placed on the wanted list of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda.

Paris has multiple investigations open for actors in the Rwandan genocide, one of which was recently concluded with the arrest in June of Felicien Kabuga outside of Paris. Kabuga was convicted as a mastermind of the genocide and is known as the financier of the massacre.

Copyright 2021 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.