Eleven more coronavirus cases were reported in Bangsamoro, the Philippines’ autonomous Muslim-majority region, on Friday.
A statement by the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) government said the total case count is now up to 379, including six fatalities.
The statement said 120 COVID-19 patients have recovered so far, leaving 253 active cases in the region.
In an interview with Anadolu Agency last month, BARMM Chief Minister Murad Ebrahim had expressed fears of a rise in infections due to people returning from overseas and other parts of the country.
“The reason behind the sudden increase in [COVID-19] cases is the return of overseas workers, students, and other people from Metro Manila,” he said on June 18, when there were just 71 cases in the region of over 5 million people.
Meanwhile, 1,841 more infections over the past 24 hours pushed the Philippines’ overall case count to 63,001 on Friday, including 1,660 deaths.
Copyright 2022 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.