The Philippines’ top court will hear at least 25 petitions against a new anti-terror act approved by President Rodrigo Duterte last month.
The Philippine Supreme Court said in a statement it would “conduct oral arguments on the petitions in the 3rd week of September, at the earliest, and will issue proper notices once the date is finalized.”
On July 3 Duterte signed the law – the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 – said to be “a measure that seeks to give the country more teeth to curb terror threats and acts.”
Rights groups and some lawmakers have raised concerns that the bill – which amends a 2007 law – could worsen human rights abuses in the country.
The top court added that six petitions were filed today against the Anti-Terrorism Act. “The Court also ordered respondents [government] to file their comments to the 6 petitions within 10 days,” it said.
According to daily Phil Star, two more petitions against the anti-terror act were filed through registered mail but are not yet on the court’s docket.
Copyright 2021 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.