The four names are still on the Pentagon's website. They are just not in the Iran war anymore.
Four American soldiers were killed in the space of two days. Three died on 17 July 2026 when Iranian ballistic missiles and drones hit a base in Jordan, and one in northern Iraq the day after, during a controlled detonation of an Iranian drone. President Donald Trump attended their dignified transfer at Dover Air Force Base on 22 July 2026, where a carry team brought past him the remains of Sergeant Angel S. Rampersad, of Ozone Park, New York.
Last week the Defense Casualty Analysis System stopped counting them among the war's dead and moved them into a category that did not exist before, called Overseas Operations. It begins counting on 7 July 2026.
That is the day Iran struck three merchant vessels in the Strait of Hormuz. Trump declared the ceasefire with Iran over shortly afterward, a day later by Anadolu Ajansı's account.
The database is not an obscure one. Pentagon officials have pointed to it repeatedly as the definitive public record of American dead and wounded in this war, and have offered it as evidence of their commitment to transparency about the toll.
Two pages instead of one
The system now carries two entries where it used to carry one. Anadolu Ajansı, reading the site on 27 July 2026, found 4 deaths and 207 injuries under Overseas Operations, and 14 deaths and 417 wounded under Operation Epic Fury, the American name for the war on Iran.
Add them and the toll since the war began on 28 February 2026 is 18 killed and 624 wounded. A reader who does not know to add them sees 14.
The BBC, working from the Pentagon's most recent update on 25 July 2026, reached the same two numbers and led on the larger one: at least 624 American service members wounded since Trump ordered the strikes in February 2026.
The database itself bears this out. Overseas Operations does now appear in its conflict menu, listed alongside Operation Epic Fury.
How many of those 207 wounded were hurt fighting Iran is not clear, and the Associated Press, which reported the change on 26 July 2026, said so explicitly. The category's name does not commit to an answer.
The number that moved
As late as Tuesday 21 July 2026, the site put the war's toll at 18 killed and 482 wounded, according to AP. Trump gave the same death figure himself that day, writing on Truth Social that the "Iran Military Conflict" had claimed 18 lives.
By Wednesday the Iran war figures on the site read 14 dead and 420 wounded, according to AP. The BBC dates the fall to 14 a day later, on Thursday. A US official told AP at the time that the real number of wounded had grown to well over 500.
Sean Parnell, the Pentagon's top spokesman, called the drop a "temporary data disruption" and said the department was working through systematic errors in the system. Press secretary Joel Valdez said on Thursday 23 July 2026 that the falling figures were not an attempt to hide the war's cost but the product of "anomalies" and "temporary data disruptions" that would be resolved "imminently."
Both men were explaining why numbers had fallen. Neither has explained why four deaths were then filed somewhere else.
That question has been put to the Pentagon by AP, by Anadolu Ajansı and by others. CENTCOM referred it to the Pentagon. The Pentagon has not answered it.
What preceded it
The reclassification followed a run of reporting on how the war is being counted. The New York Times reported that the Pentagon had not disclosed dozens of injuries and damage to aircraft caused by Iranian strikes earlier in July 2026, and reported the fall from 18 to 14. CNN reported that figures inside the database had been fluctuating.
Twelve Democratic members of the Senate Armed Services Committee wrote to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on Thursday 23 July 2026 asking him to explain, according to Anadolu Ajansı.
There are few other channels left to ask through. The Pentagon has not held a press briefing on the war since early May 2026, and Central Command has stopped giving casualty updates to reporters.
Even the original announcements were inconsistent. When the Pentagon announced two of the three deaths in Jordan, it said the soldiers were supporting the mission to counter Daesh. The other two were announced as supporting overseas operations.
A general and a congressman
Until today the reclassification was an argument about a website. It has now been called something harder than that, by people who are not reporters.
Lieutenant General Ben Hodges, who commanded US forces in Europe when Trump first came to power, told the BBC that the administration "seems to have a real hard time being honest about what is going on, not just about casualties, but about the whole war in general."
Thomas Massie, the Republican congressman and a frequent critic of the president from within his own party, called the splitting of the conflict into separate categories an "absurd ruse."
Parnell has said since that the anomalies are "currently being resolved in coordination with the Military Services." The BBC said it had asked the Department of Defense for comment.
What the change does
Nothing here is hidden, exactly. The four soldiers are named on the same government website they were always on, in a category anyone can click.
The sum is gone. For five months the war had one number attached to it, and Trump quoted that number himself. It now takes two pages and some arithmetic to reach, and the total is the figure that no longer appears anywhere under the war's name.
The Pentagon says the fluctuations were a data problem being fixed imminently. A new category is not a fluctuation, and no one at the department has been willing to account for it.