LEFKOSA, Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus 

The Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) confirmed 16 more cases of the novel coronavirus Saturday, bringing the tally to 263.

Health Minister Ali Pilli said in a statement that the country had conducted 2,070 tests and confirmed seven recoveries over the past 24 hours.

Pilli said 83 were still receiving medical treatment and that no patients were under intensive care.

The Health Ministry took additional measures against the COVID-19 outbreak, limiting the number of daily flights to the TRNC to six as of Aug. 23, excluding private planes.

The number of passengers arriving at Kyrenia Port was also limited to 250, excluding private yachts.

On March 10, the first coronavirus case in the TRNC was diagnosed in a German female tourist. Four people have lost their lives due to COVID-19 so far.

Since originating in Wuhan, China last December, the virus has spread to at least 184 countries and regions, according to figures compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

More than 23 million cases have been reported worldwide, with the global death toll over 801,000, and recoveries exceeding 14.7 million.

*Writing by Gozde Bayar

Copyright 2021 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.