The Netherlands decided to close cafes, bars, and restaurants for two weeks to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, the Dutch prime minister announced Tuesday.
Mark Rutte said in a news conference that the country was going into a “partial lockdown”.
The Dutch government also banned the sale of alcohol after 8 p.m.
People will not be allowed to host more than three guests at home, with a maximum of four people from different households can gather indoors, according to the new measures.
The government said face masks must be worn in all indoor spaces by those aged over 13.
All events are prohibited, Rutte announced, with some exceptions, such as church services, parliamentary hearings, and food markets. And the gatherings are limited to a maximum of 30 people.
The new restrictions will go into effect as of Wednesday.
Nearly 44,000 people in the Netherlands were diagnosed COVID-19 over the last week, almost 50% rise from the previous, according to the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment.
Some 150 people lost their lives in a week, with 192 people under intensive care.
Copyright 2022 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.