The 2020 Italian MotoGP on Wednesday was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
“The FIM, IRTA and Dorna Sports [organizers] regret to announce the cancellation of the Gran Premio d’Italia Oakley,” the MotoGP said on its website.
“Previously postponed, the ongoing coronavirus outbreak and resulting calendar changes now sadly oblige the cancellation of the event,” it added.
The Gran Premio d’Italia Oakley had been scheduled to be held at the Autodromo del Mugello (Mugello Circuit) on May 29-31, however the race was previously postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak.
The Mugello Circuit is in Italy’s Tuscany region, near Florence.
Paolo Poli, the circuit CEO, said that the pandemic hampered them to find a suitable date for the racing event in Italy but he is waiting for the fans in 2021 after the globe gets over this crisis.
“I would like to thank all of our fans who have supported and encouraged us during these months, and invite them back to Mugello in 2021 for what will be, as always, one of the most iconic events of the season,” Poli said.
The virus disrupted the 2020 season in MotoGP.
Season opener on March 8, the QNB Grand Prix of Qatar was canceled a week before schedule.
In addition to the Qatari GP, the Dutch, Finnish, German, British, Australian and Italian Grands Prix were called off.
Meanwhile, races in France, Spain (Cadiz) and Catalunya (Barcelona), Thailand, US and Argentina also got delayed.
The season is expected to start on Aug. 9 with the Czech MotoGP in Brno unless it’s postponed or cancelled.
Copyright 2020 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.