Some 257 Kenyan health workers have contracted the novel coronavirus since the first case was confirmed in March, the health minister said on Wednesday.
Mutahi Kagwe was speaking in Makueni County where he was assessing the county’s preparedness to combat the pandemic.
“All counties except five have reported COVID-19 cases. It will just be a matter of time before all counties are affected,” Kagwe was quoted by the The Star as saying.
“We are training people at the county level so that there is capability of taking care of the cases. Most of the cases are asymptomatic. They are not sick but can pass the virus,” Kagwe said.
He said the government has hired 252 healthcare personnel for the Makueni County to boost its capacity, while the process of hiring another 110 is ongoing.
Kagwe also thanked healthcare workers for their dedication and commitment.
Kenya has recorded 8,250 coronavirus cases so far, with 167 deaths and 2,504 recoveries, according to the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.
Copyright 2022 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.