Indonesia is clearing up 4,000 hectares of land in Central Java to accommodate US companies planning to relocate from China in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic and an escalating trade war, a top official said.
Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo said the plan was a follow-up of a phone call between Indonesian President Joko Widodo and his US counterpart Donald Trump.
“But we have not had any report of the companies’ names so far,” Ganjar told Anadolu Agency.
On April 25, Trump in a phone call with the Indonesian president discussed plans to purchase ventilators and possible investment in the country, especially for pharmaceuticals.
In the first quarter of 2020, some $141 billion were invested in Indonesia, of which more than 46% was foreign investment, according to the country’s investment body BKPM.
*Umar Idris from Jakarta contributed to this article
Copyright 2021 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.