The semi-autonomous region of Hong Kong is mulling new restrictions amid a rise in coronavirus cases.
The new measures, including a ban on dining at restaurants for a week, and compulsory mask-wearing in outdoor areas, are expected to take effect from Wednesday, daily South China Morning Post quoted officials as saying on Monday.
Last week, the government mandated people to wear masks not only on public transport but at all indoor public places. The changes were to remain in place from July 23 for 14 days till Aug. 5.
The limits are being considered as two more virus patients died, taking the virus-linked fatality count to 20. The city’s tally of infections stands at 2,633.
The financial hub recorded 128 cases on Sunday, the fifth straight day of triple-digit infection figures.
Infection count in China
China recorded 61 new virus cases, its National Health Commission said, 41 of which were from Xinjiang autonomous region where the Uighur Muslim minority is based.
The country has reported 83,891 infections, including 4,634 deaths and 78,918 recoveries, thus far.
Local cases fall in South Korea
South Korea said local virus cases were falling but authorities are focused on overseas transmissions as workers are returning home from abroad, Yonhap News Agency reported.
The East Asian nation registered 25 new cases, including 16 cases from abroad, bringing the total to 14,175, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Copyright 2022 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.