Health authorities in Hong Kong have suggested to impose a curfew as it reported at least 100 new cases for the second consecutive day on Monday.
China’s semi-autonomous region reported 108 coronavirus cases on Sunday followed by a mix of 100 preliminary and confirmed cases today, according to daily South China Morning Post.
It was the first time since the outbreak that Hong Kong reported COVID-19 cases in 3-digits.
The new cases have pushed the total number to nearly 2,000 in the region. At least 12 people have died due to the virus so far.
Hong Kong’s chief executive on Sunday announced new anti-epidemic measures, making wearing of masks in all indoor public places mandatory.
Medical experts in the region warned the triple-figure surge “would likely continue for the next few days and may not have peaked yet.”
“A curfew is needed if the situation continues to deteriorate,” said Prof. David Hui Shu-cheong, an infectious disease expert.
China reports 17 indigenous cases
China’s National Health Commission said in a statement that the country reported 22 new coronavirus cases, including 17 local and five imported cases..
The country has so far reported a total of 2,012 imported cases.
Since the outbreak of the coronavirus last December, China has reported 83,682 confirmed cases, with death toll standing at 4,634.
Since first appearing in China last December, the novel coronavirus has spread to at least 188 countries and regions. The US, Brazil, India, and Russia are currently the countries hardest hit in the world.
The pandemic has killed over 606,100 people worldwide, with more than 14.5 million confirmed cases, according to figures compiled by US’ Johns Hopkins University. Over 8.13 million people have recovered from the disease.
Copyright 2022 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.