A host of environmental disasters, including deadly rains and floods in Sri Lanka and Guatemala, volcanic eruptions in Indonesia’s Mount Merapi, as well as wildfires in Turkey and tropical storms in the Philippines and Vietnam, were reported in June.
Below is a timeline compiled by Anadolu Agency:
– The Atlantic hurricane season officially begins with forecasters warning of an “above average” amount of looming storms.
– At least three killed with six missing after Tropical Storm Dante makes landfall in Eastern Samar, Philippines.
– Canada orders evacuation for residents of Kitimat-Stikine district in British Columbia due to rising water levels of the Skeena River that reportedly kills at least one.
– Recent floods in Somalia’s southern province of Middle Shabelle displaced thousands of families and destroys crops on vast agricultural land.
– At least 17 people are killed with more than 210,000 affected, as flash floods and landslides hit several regions of Sri Lanka.
– At least 11 are killed, seven injured as heavy monsoon rains hit Mumbai, India.
– Seven miners die who were trapped by a landslide in the Mexican state of Coahuila, according to reports.
– Tropical Storm Koguma makes landfall in Thai Binh Province in northern Vietnam.
– Three people are killed in flash floods in Solola Department, Guatemala, according to the authorities.
– Flash floods caused by heavy rains kill 10, injury five in Bhutan, while seven are missing.
– Hundreds are displaced after monsoon rains triggered floods and landslides in Nepal.
– A heavy sand storm hits Kuwait, buildings shrouded by heavy dust.
– Severe thunderstorms struck parts of Belgium, leaving 92 homes severely damaged and 17 people injured.
– Deadly tornado kills one while damaging dozens of buildings in Montreal.
– A multi-car collision on a tropical storm-soaked interstate in the US state of Alabama leaves 10 dead, including eight children in a single van and another girl in an SUV.
– Mount Merapi, located on the border of Indonesia’s Central Java and Yogyakarta provinces, erupts three times, ejecting hot clouds as far as 3,000 meters away (9842 feet).
– Deadly tornado kills five, leaving 150 injured in Czech Republic.
– One forest worker dies while battling forest fires with firefighters that erupt in Turkey’s southwestern Mugla province.
– Heavy rainfall in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) claims at least four lives, including a pregnant woman.
– Western Canada is sweltering under record high temperatures that may have killed scores of people in Vancouver.
– At least two people die in western Texas in the US following heavy rain and flooding.
Copyright 2022 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.