KHARTOUM / TRIPOLI
Health authorities in Sudan and Libya confirmed new cases and deaths from the novel coronavirus on Thursday.
Sudan’s Health Ministry confirmed 10 new virus-related deaths in the last 24 hours, bringing the nationwide death toll to 602.
A further 73 infections were recorded in the said period, taking the figure to 9,573 along with 4,606 recoveries.
It asked the citizens to adhere to health guidelines, and follow precautions such as wearing face masks and washing one’s hands frequently.
Meanwhile in Libya, health authorities said 50 new cases, including one death, were registered.
Authorities in the war-torn country have so far recorded 874 infections, 25 deaths and 223 recoveries.
War and division have destroyed much of Libya’s health infrastructure, thus affecting the country’s fight against the outbreak.
Since first appearing in Wuhan, China last December, the infection has spread to at least 188 countries and regions, according to Johns Hopkins University.
The US, Brazil, Russia and India currently have the most number of cases.
The pandemic has claimed over 516,000 lives, with over 10.7 million confirmed cases and more than 5.48 million recoveries.
*Writing by Zehra Nur Duz
Copyright 2021 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.