The Bangsamoro autonomous region in southern Philippines on Thursday laid ground work for a new 100-bed isolation center for coronavirus patients, officials said.
A statement by the health department said groundbreaking ceremony for the isolation facility in Marantao, Lanao del Sur was held.
Similar facilities are being constructed in Basilan, Sulu, and Tawi-Tawi provinces.
Chief Minister of the region Murad Ebrahim said the new facilities will accommodate nearly 5,000 returnees from mainland Philippines and abroad.
Meanwhile, the region recorded four new virus cases, taking the toll to 411 in the Muslim-majority region.
Eight people have died of the infection, while 128 others have recovered thus far.
The Muslim Eid al-Adha festival in the autonomous region begins on July 31, according to Darul Ifta, the Islamic advisory board.
Last month, it lifted the temporary suspension of the Friday and other congregational prayers with strict health guidelines in place.
Copyright 2021 Anadolu Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.