Turkish Press Review - Friday, February 6, 2015

Most dailies on Friday dedicate their front pages to Turkish PM's remarks over a possible presidential system in Turkey

Most dailies on Friday dedicate their front pages to Turkish PM's remarks over a possible presidential system in Turkey

ISTANBUL - The Anadolu Agency does not verify these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.

Turkish dailies Friday focused mainly on Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu’s remarks about a possible replacement of the current parliamentary system with a presidential one.

In an interview broadcast from a private TV channel late Wednesday, Davutoglu rejected the opposition’s reactions against a possible presidential system.

SABAH quoted the Turkish premier as saying, "To stand against the presidential system is ignorance."

According to the daily, Davutoglu sought to convince the public that neither he nor President Recep Tayyip Erdogan wanted to hold absolute power in the country, refuting the opposition's claims that adopting a presidential system would bring "dictatorship" to Turkey.

Turkey has been discussing the possible introduction of a presidential system for long and Erdogan too has expressed his willingness for such a change.

"Let's discuss objectively," VATAN’s headline citing Davutoglu said. The paper quoted the premier as saying, "Turkey has both elected president and prime minister. The system is congested. We will open this issue (presidential system) for discussion if we get the power to change the constitution after the upcoming election."

A constitutional amendment or a new charter is needed to set up a presidential system in Turkey. The country's current constitution was drafted two years after a military takeover in 1980 and numerous amendments have been made to it since then.

In other news, Turkish dailies covered the reactions against the recent burning to death of a Jordanian pilot by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorist group.

YENI SAFAK said, "Jordan starts to move against ISIL," adding that the King of Jordan promised a "devastating response."

An online video showed 27-year-old Moaz al-Kasasba being burnt alive by his captors Tuesday.

The graphic video sent shockwaves across Jordan –already a member of an ongoing U.S.-led air campaign against ISIL – and the international community.

The ISIL terrorist group is accused of killing thousands of people across Syria and Iraq.

Copyright © 2015 Anadolu Agency