Oman reports fresh coronavirus fatality

DOHA – Omani health authorities said Thursday that a man previously diagnosed with coronavirus had succumbed to the illness.

It was the first coronavirus death to be reported in Oman in one year and the third since the virus first appeared in the Gulf state in late 2013.

In a statement, Oman's Health Ministry said it would continue to fight the virus and prepare its hospitals for any contingency.

On November 10, 2013, the Health Ministry reported the country's first coronavirus fatality.

On Wednesday, Saudi Arabia said a citizen had succumbed to the virus, bringing total coronavirus deaths in the kingdom to 358.

Also known as "Middle East Respiratory Syndrome," coronavirus first appeared in Saudi Arabia in 2012.

It has since been discovered in camels in Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar and Egypt.

Copyright © 2015 Anadolu Agency